In 1905, in a South African mine, the 3,106 carat Cullinan Diamond was discovered by mistake during a routine mine inspection. It was named the Cullinan Diamond after the owner of the mine, Thomas Cullinan. The diamond was sent to Europe and in 1908 Asscher and Co. of Amsterdam successfully cut the diamond into 9 major stones (each given a number) and many smaller brilliants. Although part of the diamond was presented to King Edward VII, the other stones were kept by Asscher. In 1910 the remaining stones were purchased by the Government of South Africa and given to Queen Mary as a coronation gift. The Cullinan V Diamond is heart shaped and weighs 18.8 carats. It was made into a brooch and used by Queen Mary in an emerald stomacher, as a brooch, and as a center piece in various tiaras and crowns. After her death in 1953, the brooch was inherited by The Queen who wears the brooch frequently, including to the wedding of Princess Eugenie.