I have a theory that 2018 will go down in music history as the best year of hip hop since 1996, bc every damn day there's a new collab album announced (Future x Juice WRLD), or a rap titan releasing a project for the first time in years (Nas), or multiple female MC's winning (Cardi B, Nicki); there are just so many signs that hip hop is in full Beast Mode. Honestly, it's pretty difficult to keep up w/ everything going on, but these are the recent albums that have earned my full attention.
• #IMMIGRANT by Belly: Look, I like Belly. He's a supremely underrated lyricist, he's put out multiple bangers, & he's a hardworking student of the game. "Immigrant", finds Belly feeling political & it's timely, dope & powerful.
• #EastAtlantaLoveLetter by 6lack: I've already plugged this album on #MT7 multiple times so i'll just say this, 6lack is the most exciting new thing in R&B since Bryson Tiller dropped "Don't".
• #ReeseLAFLARE by Reese LaFlare: I just recently discovered Reese & tbh, I'm hooked. The ATL native has been an important player BTS for awhile now, but on his official debut album he steps up & proves he deserves a spot in the limelight.
• #Nuthin2Prove by Lil Yachty: I go back & forth on whether I think Yachty is talented or not, but he's so damn likable that I inevitably follow him & give all of his songs & album a chance. N2P won me over bc of the moody vibe of the project, which is a marked departure from Yachty's usual positive, sunny musical disposition. This is an album to smoke out to for sure.
• #OnTheRvn by Young Thug: Thugger's best album since "Beautiful Thugger Girls", PLUS an Elton John feature. Here for it. 🙌
• #SUNCITY by Khalid: In the age of streaming & album tracks in the double digits, Khalid chose the Ye way & went w/ only 7 tracks & it totally paid off. "Suncity" is short & sweet, mellow & melancholy, & it's a perfect follow up to his debut album "American Teen."